Thursday, October 29, 2009

Check Your Pockets

Working at a dry cleaners involves going through the pockets of every item before it is cleaned. This results in a collection of random things people forget to take out of their pockets. Tissues, chap stick, business cards, lecture notes, funeral programs, cuff links, and the occasional money. Things also seem to come in phases. We have the "OMG it's getting cold I just HAVE to get my coat cleaned now" phase and the "I'm getting married in June and need my wedding dress cleaned and pressed" phase and the "school's starting so I need to get all 27 of my dress shirts cleaned" phase, you get the idea. Right now its the "crazy-rush-for-no-reason-I-need-my-comforter-asap-cause-its-cold-and-I-was-too-stupid-to-think-ahead-and-get-it-cleaned-earlier" phase.

Last week, the whole community of Moscow decided to spill drinks on themselves. Every time I worked someone came in with an article of clothing that had coffee, or hot chocolate, or milk, or some beverage spilt all over it. This week, everyone has decided to leave money in their pockets. And for that, I am very thankful. I have collected a total of $72.10 this week from various people leaving various amounts in their pockets. Its one of the perks of the job. You find it, its up to you to do what you see fit. Of course if it's a huge amount we give it back.

So the point of all this is to say, check your pockets. Make sure that you go through your jeans and coats before washing them. Who knows, you might become a more wealthy person.

No comments:

Post a Comment